- Resourceful, efficient and broad-minded Certified Public Accountant seeking business and individual clients looking for a long term relationship with a proven tax advisor.
- Solid working knowledge of: U.S. Corporation taxation, Multi-State taxation, U.S. Pass-Through Entities (S Corporations, Partnerships and LLCs), Individual taxation,changes in ownership, inventory, IRS practice and procedure.
- Provide advice on acquisitions and dispositions, carryback claims, amended returns, installment agreements and offer in compromise. Familiar with interest rate swaps and hedge fund investments.
- Track record of providing prudent and trustworthy tax advice because I take the time to understand the underlying business and the greater context of commercial transactions.
- Respected by owners and executives for accurate research and decisive advice.
- Successful representation of corporations and individuals before the IRS and various state agencies.
MVOC, LLC, Raleigh, NC September 2004 – July 2011
Controller and Director of Tax
Privately-held asset manager and private equity investor. The firm invests in and operates an array of portfolio companies including: a plastic injection molder, real estate developer, restaurant, charter of corporate jets and a college student housing manager. Primarily responsible for keeping the operating businesses running smoothly.
- Reviewed monthly accounting for manufacturing operations, including: reconciliations, G/L adjusting entries, financial reporting, analysis of key financial data, payroll, budgeting and expense approval.
- Monitored $100 million investment portfolio comprised of stocks, bonds, hedge funds and private equity. Led quarterly interviews with portfolio managers and advised on asset allocations.
- Participated in annual budgeting, employee compensation decisions, pension-related issues and CAPEX decisions. Monitored progress and cash disbursements during construction projects.
- Member of the investment committee. Performed multiple aspects of due diligence on investment targets, including: financial analysis, operational related visits and analysis, interviews, comparative analysis, market and competitor reviews. Also prepared and proposed deal terms.
- Coordinated financing of acquisitions, including: reviewing term sheets, managing the flow of information to the bank, attending meetings with legal staff and assisting in negotiation of deal terms.
- Handled all tax matters for the partnership and related entities, including: Federal and State Audit Representation with North Carolina, California, Georgia, New Jersey, Puerto Rico, Ohio and Texas.
Transactions and Achievements:
- Participated in eight corporate acquisitions totaling $125 million.
- Assisted in the refinancing of $45 million of debt on residential development and a $15 million credit line despite a very tight credit environment in 2009.
- Lead due diligence team in the $6 million acquisition of an international plastic injection molder.
- Involved in the purchase of a $30 million corporate jet from Gulfstream.
- Performed due diligence on over 60 prospective acquisition targets during a four-year period.
- Completed a marketing study, site location, design and construction of a $4 million restaurant.
- Guided the firm through an IRS audit resulting in timing adjustments of 1% of total taxable income.
Deloitte & Touché, Raleigh, NC February 2001 – August 2004
Director and Southeast Area Leader, Tax Services Group
Led a team of 70 tax professionals offering comprehensive tax solutions to companies in the Southeast. Clients included: A $5 billion operator of convenience stores; large landfill and waste management company; multi-state manufacturer of plastic containers; multi-national power systems producer, among others.
- Generated $2.5 million in annual billings from tax compliance and tax consulting projects.
- Led tax due diligence teams during several M&A transactions and advised clients on related matters.
- Served as the Market Impact Leader for partners in the Carolinas and Tennessee areas. Assisted new business development efforts and the generation of $11.6 million in comprehensive tax solution revenue in 2003.
- Maintained a very low annual rate of turnover of approximately 8%.
- Advised a client on a stock sale (vs. asset sale) saving its owners $20 million in income tax expense.
- Consistently rated as a top Director on all parameters of performance, including client relations, expert knowledge and leadership.
Ernst & Young, Raleigh, NC and Syracuse, NY November 1991 – January 2001
Senior Manager, Corporate Tax Services, Southeast Area Senior Manager
Managed 20+ corporate account relationships and tax consulting engagements generating $2 million in annual billings.
- Assisted with a worldwide transfer pricing project for a global manufacturing client to ensure inter-company transactions were properly documented across 15 countries. This $400,000 project required travel to England, Finland, France, Italy and Germany and took two years (1998-1999) to complete.
- Saved a client $10 million by maximizing their NOL carryforwards after they were acquired. This project helped the development of a national E&Y tax optimization product involving Section 382 (i.e. Limitation on net operating loss carryforwards following an ownership change).
EDUCATION AND LICENSE
State University of New York, Utica, NY
Bachelor of Science Degree with concentration in accounting, 1984
- Earned 80% of college tuition by working part time
Certified Public Accountant, North Carolina (#23800) since 1995 and New York (#068063) since 1992.
SOFTWARE, MEMBERSHIPS AND OTHER INTERESTS
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint), ATX Tax Software.
- Board Member Apex Arts Council
- Enjoy travel, golf, poker and spending time with family. Avid Carolina Hurricanes hockey fan.